Wednesday, October 29, 2014

An Expert

What exactly is an expert? How do we become experts in the psycho-social sciences? Especially in the world of playfulness, children, disabilities, theology? Isn't there always going to be a case that stumps the experts and our view of what that moniker means? Even the idea of calling psychology a science makes me chuckle, no theories in psychology are ever proven, they are supported. 

Someone saw my 'First Person Interview' in Early Childhood Curriculum for All Learners and promptly asked if I had any helpful opinions on her 11 month old. Because of the context of the ask, I am sure it was in jest, sort of, yet it started me thinking - what makes a person an expert? 

I think I am good at connecting with the needs of all children, being playful, empowering JOY, and supporting both families and teachers. Nothing in there screams 'expert'. It screams 'Good to know and thanks for sharing'.

A friend of mine thought "expert" equaled "common sense" and felt that maybe not everyone has that approach. Hmmm. It seems people either 'wants an expert' or 'wants to be an expert'.

My response and note to consider here, or open up for discussion, "Maybe expert equals acceptance and application."


No comments:

Post a Comment